Young Adults Hub: Online Peer Discussion
Chat & play online games
Young adults meetings have been well-attended in this online format! We have been having a great time chatting and playing online card games. This month we we will play some "Jackbox" games again (in a separate breakout room) as it has been great fun! This month we will again run an online meeting via the web-based application "Zoom".
Over the past few months, the young adults had a great turn out of 15+ people, who had a lot of fun just chatting in the main meeting room and others split off for playing online card games.
This peer meeting is for adults aged (minimum) 18 years - 35 years old (approx.) with Aspergers (or Autism Spectrum Disorder level 1-2). This is a popular group where you can meet new friends, enjoy an environment with no social pressure and have an enjoyable night Looking forward to seeing you there! You may join with your video and audio on or off in whatever way you are comfortable with.
Cost: Free for month of October. However you must still please book online before attending. Once registered, you will receive an Event Confirmed email containing the Zoom link. Courtesy of a grant from the Department of Human Services.
Please note the following about how our group runs:
This event is for Young Adults who are between the ages of 18-35 years.
This is a parent/carer-free zone.
New attendees will be made to feel comfortable and welcome by our peer leaders.
The Zoom session will be facilitated by the Young Adult Mentor Team:
- Callan, Sunny, Eleanor & Tim - Volunteer Mentors
- Lyndel Kennedy, Young Adults Co-Facilitator
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for "Zoom US download"
3. Download it, as per other apps.
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Log into Zoom
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email).Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting.
- Your microphone will be muted by default (to minimize background noise)
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used)
- When you want to talk - unmute microphone - click in your picture/device name thumbnail at top of the screen and select "unmute" to switch on your microphone.
- Try to time your contribution so that only 1 person talks at a time.
- If you want to contribute something but find it difficult to see a suitable pause, you can type your message, either to 'everyone' or to the person you wish to see it (private chat).
Getting There: On Zoom. You will receive the link when you complete your registration.