Parents & Carers Hub: Online / Phone Peer Meeting Discussion with Guest Speaker:
"Supporting your child to succeed with online schooling"
Now that we’ve had a few weeks of online schooling to supervise with our children, we thought it would be timely to ask a guest speaker psychologist Judy Poll from Psychology4Life to join us in a discussion about how we can best support our Aspie children to be their best at e-school!
We will also talk about how to look after ourselves with the challenges of balancing this with caring for ourselves and all the usual demands of being parents. This will again be an online meeting via a web-based application called Zoom.See below for more information on what Zoom is and how to access the meeting with it.
This peer meeting is for parents, grandparents and carers (of a person with Aspergers / Autism Spectrum Disorder Level ASD 1-2) to meet, share their experiences and support each other. We have a range of parents who attend, who have children of varying ages from toddlers through to young adults. The group is facilitated to allow opportunity for all attendees to talk if they wish. Attendance varies from month to month and it's great to talk to others who have been through similar challenges.
Cost: $5 AV Members, $10 Non-Members. Please book and pay online before attending. Once your payment is processed and you will receive an Event Confirmed email containing the Zoom link.
Guest Speaker July Poll: Supporting your child to succeed with online schooling
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Or you can simply just dial in and participate via telephone. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for Zoom
3. Download it, as per other apps.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email).
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Join the Zoom Meeting
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
- Make sure that your microphone is muted
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used)
- When you want to talk - unmute microphone.
- Make sure 1 person talks at a time.
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting. However we can email you an outline for Zoom use in case you need help.
Contact Details: Emma at firstname.lastname@example.org emall preferred, or 0432 139 528