ASPERGERS VICTORIA online GUEST SPEAKER EVENT:
'MY CAREER FROM NERD TO NOVELIST' WITH GRAEME SIMSION
Aspergers Victoria has been fortunate to secure Graeme Simsion, the author of The Rosie Project, The Rosie Effect, The Best of Adam Sharp, Two Steps Forward and The Rosie Result (2019), for this 90 minute presentation (including Q&A) about his career to date. This is the art of our delving into the actual World of Work for our community,
Join us to hear Graeme describe how his career has taken him from science to technology to management to research and teaching and now to screenwriter and best-selling novelist. The Rosie Project, featuring an autistic hero, was Australian Book Industry Association Book of the Year for 2014 and has been translated into over forty languages. Graeme is a regular speaker in Australia and internationally and likes to talk not only about personal re-invention, but about the skills that are common to almost any endeavour in life. For more details of Graeme Simsion's work, visit his website is www.graemesimsion.com
Graeme will address:
- His career journey - including what prompted him to write Don Tillman’s character in the beginning;
- His experiences with the evolution of the autism community since publishing the first Rosie book in 2013;
- His recommendations for where Aspergers people should build their skills towards such success.
Time: 7.00 pm - 8.30 pm
Timing on the night:
7.00 pm: Welcome and introduction from Tamsin (President)
7.05 pm: Graeme's presentation
8.00 pm: Question and answer session
8.30 pm: Informal chat (optional)
9:00 pm: Event concludes.
Cost: $10 Aspergers Vic Members, $17 Non-Members (subsidized tickets courtesy of Dept of Human Services Grant). Please book and pay online before attending, You will receive the link to join the meeting when your payment is done and you will receive a Event Confirmed email containing this link.
Who should attend: This event is suitable for Aspergers Victoria members, families, professionals, or anyone else interested in this topic. Suitable age: teenagers and upwards.
The Zoom session will be facilitated by:
- Speaker: Graeme Simsion
- Matt Heale - Aspergers Vic Member
- Tamsin Jowett - AV Volunteer President
- Lyndel Kennedy - Events & Young Adults Team Volunteer
- Emma Howden - AV Staff Member
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for Zoom
3. Download it, as per other apps.
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Log into Zoom
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter or click on the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email)Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting.
- Your microphone will need to be MUTED (to minimize background noise)
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used & you are visible)
- Q&A will be submitted in writing via the Q&A or chatbox functions
- If you want to contribute something to the session chat, you can type your message, either to 'everyone' or to the person you wish to see it (private chat). We recommend chat is kept to a minimum during the talk so we don't distract attendees. Please wait for the Q&A timing.
- It will be recorded and your contribution may also be recorded.
Contact Details: Emma at email@example.com email preferred, or 0432 139 528