Young Adults Hub: Extra Online Peer Discussion Chat & play online games
Topic: "The Art of Conversation over online platforms"
This additional meeting is in response to our member requests to hold online meetings more often and has been made possible by our wonderful volunteers! The regular 4th Thursday night of the month meeting will still be going ahead (on 28 May). Over the last two months, the young adults had a great turn out of 15+ people, who had a lot of fun just chatting and others split off for playing online card games.
Join us again this month to try playing games in “Jackbox” (in a separate breakout room). Or just stay in the main meeting room to participate in the stimulating discussion. We will use a web-based application called "Zoom". Those who stay in the main meeting room may wish to discuss the topic: "The Art of Conversation over online platforms" such as Zoom, Discord etc that AV have been using. Bring your experiences of how this can work well and what the challenges are for our community using this medium for meetings.
This peer meeting is for adults aged (minimum) 18 years - 35 years old (approx.) with Aspergers (or Autism Spectrum Disorder level 1-2). This is a popular group where you can meet new friends, enjoy an environment with no social pressure and have an enjoyable night Looking forward to seeing you there! You may join with your video and audio on or off in whatever way you are comfortable with.
Cost: $5 AV Members, $10 Non-Members Please book and pay online before attending. Once your payment is processed and you will receive an Event Confirmed email containing the Zoom link.
Please note the following about how our group runs:
This event is for Young Adults who are between the ages of 18-35 years.
This is a parent/carer-free zone.
New attendees will be made to feel comfortable and welcome by our peer leaders.
The Zoom session will be facilitated by the Young Adult Mentor Team:
- Callan, Sunny, Eleanor & Tim - Volunteer Mentors
- Lyndel Kennedy, Young Adults Co-Facilitator
- Emma Howden. Groups Co-Ordinator
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for "Zoom US download"
3. Download it, as per other apps.
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Log into Zoom
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email).Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting.
- Your microphone will be muted by default (to minimize background noise)
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used)
- When you want to talk - unmute microphone - click in your picture/device name thumbnail at top of the screen and select "unmute" to switch on your microphone.
- Try to time your contribution so that only 1 person talks at a time.
- If you want to contribute something but find it difficult to see a suitable pause, you can type your message, either to 'everyone' or to the person you wish to see it (private chat).
Contact Details: Emma at firstname.lastname@example.org emall preferred, or 0432 139 528
Getting There: On Zoom. You will receive the link when you complete your registration.