CANCELLED: Aspergers Victoria Online Educational Event:
***APOLOGIES: EVENT CANCELLED***presenter uNAVAILABLE***
Demand Avoidance & anxiety in Autism - with Kristy Forbes
Aspergers Victoria has been fortunate enough to organise Kristy Forbes for a presentation discussing an interesting topic: - Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) and anxiety in autism.
Kristy Forbes (BA politics & Culture, Grad Dip Ed) is an autism & neurodiversity support specialist who is passionate about radical acceptance of neurodivergence and social change. She is an autistic mother of four autistic children, married to an autistic man and consults with families both nationally and internationally to support them in raising neurodivergent children.
Kristy is also passionate about supporting allied health professionals and educators to understand those with ADHD and PDA from her lived experience and background as an educator (P-12) and a childhood behavioural and family specialist. Click here to read more about Kristy's work.
Time: 7.00 pm - 9.30 pm
Timing on the night:
7.00 pm: Welcome and introduction from Tamsin (President)
7.05 pm: Kristy's presentation
8.30 pm: Question and answer session
9.00 pm Informal community chat (optional)
9.30 pm: Event concludes.
Cost: $10 Aspergers Vic Members, $17 Non-Members. (Tickets subsidized by a grant from Department of Human Services) Please book and pay online before attending, You will receive the link to join the meeting when your payment is done and you will receive a Event Confirmed email containing this link.
Who should attend: This event is suitable for Aspergers Vic members and families, professionals, or anyone else interested in this topic. Suitable age: teenagers and upwards.
The Zoom session will be facilitated by the Event Team:
- Speaker: Kristy Forbes
- Tamsin Jowett - AV President
- Lyndel Kennedy - Events & Young Adults Team Volunteer
- Emma Howden - AV Staff Member
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for Zoom
3. Download it, as per other apps.
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Log into Zoom
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email).Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting.
- Your microphone will be muted by default (to minimize background noise)
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used)
- When you want to talk - unmute microphone - click in your picture/device name thumbnail at top of the screen and select "unmute" to switch on your microphone.
- Try to time your contribution so that only 1 person talks at a time.
- If you want to contribute something but find it difficult to see a suitable pause, you can type your message, either to 'everyone' or to the person you wish to see it (private chat).
Contact Details: Emma at email@example.com emall preferred, or 0432 139 528