Aspergers Victoria Online Educational Event:
GAMEAWARE WITH ANDREW KINCH
Aspergers Victoria has been fortunate to organise Andrew Kinch from GameAware for this 90 minute presentation (including Q&A) explaining gaming mechanics, impacts, culture and our need to develop balance and resilience. Andrew will discuss the bigger picture of gaming and then present strategies to manage gaming/technology use as a hobby, instead of an unhealthy compulsion.
Andrew is the founder of GameAware and is a secondary teacher. Andrew advises this introductory talk is intended for gamers, and also psychologists, teachers and parents to better understand gaming mechanics and culture so they are better equipped to support gamers who need help developing self regulation approaches, life balance and resilience. Learn more about where the lines begin to blur between hobby and compulsion. This will explore the many sides of gaming culture and why games are so appealing, with how to help gamers re-frame their gaming into a healthy hobby using the GameAware key strategies.
This is Andrew's introductory session. Andrew offers programs for gamers, families, parents and schools around healthy gaming/screen habits. Click here to read more Andrew 's Gameaware programs.
Time: 7.30 pm - 9.00 pm
Timing on the night:
7.30 pm: Welcome and introduction from Tamsin (President)
7.35 pm: Andrew's presentation
8.30 pm: Question and answer session
9.00 pm: Informal chat (optional)
9:30 pm: Event concludes.
Cost: $20 Aspergers Vic Members, $35 Non-Members. Please book and pay online before attending, You will receive the link to join the meeting when your payment is done and you will receive a Event Confirmed email containing this link.
Who should attend: This event is suitable for Aspergers Victoria members, families, professionals, or anyone else interested in this topic. Suitable age: teenagers and upwards.
The Zoom session will be facilitated by the Event Team:
- Speaker: Andrew Kinch
- Tamsin Jowett - AV President
- Lyndel Kennedy - Events & Young Adults Team Volunteer
- Emma Howden - AV Staff Member
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for Zoom
3. Download it, as per other apps.
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Log into Zoom
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter or click on the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email)Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting.
- Your microphone will need to be MUTED (to minimize background noise)
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used & you are visible)
- Q&A will be submitted in writing via the Q&A or chatbox functions
- If you want to contribute something to the session chat, you can type your message, either to 'everyone' or to the person you wish to see it (private chat). We recommend chat is kept to a minimum during the talk so we don't distract attendees. Please wait for the Q&A timing.
- It will be recorded and your contribution may also be recorded.
Contact Details: Emma at email@example.com emall preferred, or 0432 139 528