Parents & Carers of Young Adults Hub: Online / Phone Peer Meeting Discussion
In response to member requests, we are trialing a dedicated group for how to support our young adult Aspies to survive and thrive amidst the challenge of the Coronavirus lockdown. We will also talk about how to look after ourselves as well while caring for our young adults. This will be an online meeting via a web-based application called Zoom. See below for more information on what Zoom is and how to access the meeting with it. It’s easy to use and you get a link in your registration confirmation email to join the meeting.
This peer meeting is for parents, grandparents and carers (of a person with Aspergers or Autism Spectrum Disorder / ASD 1-2 aged 18 years+) to meet, share their experiences and support each other. The group is facilitated to allow opportunity for all attendees to talk if they wish.
Cost: $5 AV Members, $10 Non-Members. Please book and pay online before attending. Once your payment is processed and you will receive an Event Confirmed email containing the Zoom link.
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a program that allows video, web and audio conferencing.You can download it free onto your computer or phone/tablet. Or you can simply just dial in and participate via telephone. Download the AV Zoom Guide (pdf)
STEP 1: Before the Meeting: Make sure you download Zoom
Download onto your computer:
Download onto your phone / tablet:
- Visit https://zoom.us/download, locate Zoom Client for Meetings and click Download.
- Follow the download and installation prompts (you do not need admin access).
1. Go to the App store of your device (e.g. App Store or Google Play).
2. Search for Zoom
3. Download it, as per other apps.
Participate via phone line only:
1. Dial in via one of these numbers: +61 3 7018 2005 Australia +61 8 7150 1149 Australia +61 2 8015 6011 Australia. Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ahxpuxnWU
2. Key in the Meeting ID (from your registration confirmed email).
STEP 2: At the Meeting time: Join the Zoom Meeting
1. Open up the Zoom application
1a. If using a computer - Go to "Settings", and do "Audio" -> "Sound and "Microphone" checks before you start.
2. Enter the Meeting ID you've been provided (in the confirmed registration email). The host will receive a 'door bell' that you are waiting and will admit you to the meeting.
Once you have entered the Zoom meeting room:
- Make sure that your microphone is muted
- Video - you can choose if its on or off (On = more internet used)
- When you want to talk - unmute microphone.
- Make sure 1 person talks at a time.
More instructions of how to use Zoom in the meeting will be provided at the start of the meeting. However we can email you an outline for Zoom use in case you need help.
Contact Details: Emma at email@example.com emall preferred, or 0432 139 528